WINNER – Heritage Buildings/Adaptive Reuse, 2015 WA Building Design Awards.
The heritage-listed District Medical Officer’s Quarters along McKay Street in Port Hedland was built in 1907 as a home for the resident magistrate, who was also the medical officer of the area. The building continued to serve as the residence of successive medical officers and nurses until the building was vacated in the early 2000s.
The building was recently refurbished and a new two-storey building was added to house the functional requirements of Dome cafe. The materials and finishes are inspired by the landscape and the vernacular of the locality.
The development is an excellent example of merging heritage and contemporary design into a modern architectural building.